Sp. Pl. 1: 462 (1753) APNI
Erect perennial shrub to 1(–1.5) m high, usually dome-shaped, branched from near base, glabrous throughout. Stems leafless in lower parts, more or less dichotomously branched, each finally with 3–5 umbellately-arranged terminal fertile branches, each umbel subtended by a whorl of leaves. Cauline leaves, sessile, alternate, oblong, 2–6 cm long, 3–9 mm wide, apex obtuse to rounded, decurved-apiculate, margins entire; whorled leaves subtending fertile branches similar to cauline leaves but often slightly shorter and/or wider. Cyathia solitary in paired bracts, these becoming contracted toward the stem apex; involucres sessile, cupular, 2–3 mm long, with 3–6 short pubescent lobes; glands elliptic, c. 2 mm diam., lacking appendages; female flowers with styles usually shortly bifid. Capsule depressed-globose, c. 6 mm long, 6 mm wide, deeply 3-lobed, smooth to minutely tuberculate, glabrous; seeds ellipsoid, c. 3 mm long, smooth, grey, caruncle reniform, fleshy, yellowish. Flowers mostly Apr.–Sep. (3 records only)
*GipP, *VVP. Also naturalised WA, SA. Occasional escaping from cultivation in near-coastal sites, recorded from Williamstown and Cape Patterson areas.
|Bioregion||Occurrence status||Establishment means|
|Victorian Volcanic Plain||present||introduced|