Sp. Pl. 1: 456 (1753)
Erect annual herb to c. 20 cm high, glabrous and glaucous; stems usually simple and stiffly erect below, apically usually with 3–many branches, each forking several times and spreading to c.15 cm diam., forming a dense, umbelliform 'crown'. Cauline leaves alternate, sessile, obovate to spathulate or oblong, mostly 5–25 mm long, 3–6 mm wide, apex obtuse to acute, often shortly apiculate, base cuneate, margins entire; leaves/bracts on fertile branches opposite, obliquely suborbicular to broadly ovate, 3–10(–15) mm long and almost as wide. Cyathia solitary in paired bracts; peduncles to c. 0.5 mm long at anthesis; involucre campanulate, c. 1 mm long; glands lunate, c. 0.5 mm long, with 2 short, often decurved falcate appendages c. 0.3 mm long; female flowers with styles shortly bifid. Capsule ovoid, c. 2 mm long, smooth; seeds flattened-ellipsoid, c.1.5 mm long, pale grey-brown, minutely tuberculate all over, with 4–6 lateral grooves either side of the midline on dorsal and ventral surface, more deeply grooved ventrally; caruncle bead-like, c. 0.3 mm diam., smooth, soft, caducous. Flowers and fruits probably Oct.–Mar. (1 record).
Also SA, NSW. Native to Europe and western Asia. Currently known only from remnant grassland adjoining cropping land near Rupanyup in the Wimmera.